Melaka State Museum was officially opened on 19th March 1954. The official opening was formalised by the Melaka Resident Commissioner, Mr. G.E.C Wisdom. The Melaka State Museum was housed in one of the old Dutch colonial heritage buildings. The building was built in 1660 and was also once used as the residence for senior officers of the Melaka State Public Works Department.
The Museum was established to exhibit materials related to the historic cultural development of the state of Melaka since the era of the Malay Melaka Sultanate until Malaya achieved independence. The collections exhibited were in the form of photographs, objects and paintings encompassing heritage materials from the Malay Melaka Sultanate, the Portuguese, Dutch and British.